What Do You Know About Pericoronitis?
Are you experiencing inflammation or pain in your gums? Is it the back of your mouth that hurts? If so, then you should get yourself checked for an oral problem called pericoronitis. Even though this condition is quite common, it can have severe consequences if left untreated.
The person experiencing pericoronitis develops an infection in the gum tissue surrounding the molars. Pericoronitis mostly results from bacteria as well as food that is trapped below the gum tissue flap covering a tooth that has partial eruption. The condition is usually experienced by young adults who are between 17-24, and whose wisdom teeth are beginning to erupt. Improper practices of oral hygiene along with the position of your wisdom tooth are two major factors contributing to the accumulation of debris and food particles.
Know The Signs
Check for these symptoms if you think you might have this condition:
- Swelling in the gums surrounding your molars
- Odour or bad taste
- Trouble swallowing foods and difficulty closing and/or opening your mouth
- Fever with swelling in your jaw and neck If you're facing any of these symptoms, you should consult your dentist at Brighton Implant Clinic right away. Your dentist will be able to recommend the most ideal treatment plan based on your dental examination.
Can You Prevent It?
These are a few things that you can do to prevent pericoronitis:
1. Good oral hygiene practices along with regular brushing.
2. Giving special attention to the removal of food particles from wisdom teeth that are undergoing eruption.
3. Rinsing with an antibacterial mouthwash after brushing.
4. Having regular dental checkups.
Ready to make a change?
Schedule a free, no obligation consultation online today.