A cavity is a hole in the tooth that is caused by decay; this is the reason why tooth cavity is also known as tooth decay. Tooth decay occurs when plaque, the sticky substance that forms on teeth, combines with the sugars or starches of the foods that we eat, the ultimate combination forms acids that attack the outer and inner tissues of the tooth. Teeth decay can cause impairment or teeth loss if it is not eradicated at an early stage and it is one of the most prevalent diseases in the world. However, teeth cavities cannot easily be detected unless one visits a dentist for a routine check-up but can be prevented with basic oral hygiene.
The following are some of the most primary measures that a person can take to avoid cavities caused by teeth decay:-
- Brushing of teeth- It is important for each and every individual to brush teeth at least twice daily in the fight against dental cavities. This should be done with the right toothbrush recommended by the dentist for the specific teeth and with toothpaste that contains fluoride.
- Flossing of teeth regularly- When we eat our food, food particles remain in-between teeth, these food debris cannot be completely removed by brushing of teeth and it is therefore important to floss teeth daily so as to remove the particles in between teeth.
- Dental check-ups- It is important to always visit the dentist for regular check-ups, cavities cannot easily be detected. Routine check-ups and teeth cleaning from the dentist will help in preventing cavities while at the same time detect chances of decay.
- Healthy eating- Eating foods that are rich in nutrients while avoiding snacks that are full of sugars and starch will help in avoiding cavities. Starch and sugars form plaque that sticks in between teeth ultimately creating decay.
- Use of mouth rinse- The use of mouth rinses and mouthwashes after eating or brushing of teeth really helps in getting rid of plaque that forms in between teeth thus preventing cavities.
- Chewing sugarless gum- It has been medically proven that chewing certain sugarless gums can actually help to prevent cavities by increasing the flow of saliva in your mouth.